How Diversity Challenged Me to Be Innovative as Test Team Leader (W5)

Home Forums EuroSTAR Attendee Network EuroSTAR 2014 How Diversity Challenged Me to Be Innovative as Test Team Leader (W5)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Nathalie
    Participant
    @funtestic

A discussion forum in extension to my track on Wednesday 11:00 (or maybe leading up to…?).

The track is wrapped around three main topics which were to change the team, the individuals in it, the organisation and also me…:
    – motivate / stimulate
    – guidance
    – challenging

You will hear about the challenges I encountered by guiding 15 diverse individuals, besides staying those individuals, to become 1 team and to have the organisation perceive them as such. About Learning with lollypops, leaflets on the coffee machine, knowledge sessions, grabbaball and ‘ on the wall’ as ways to bring both the fun back in work as to provide a low-cost way to share knowledge and learn.
    Especially those latter are brilliant to share in this forum-topic, so we can benefit from them all…
    (I’ll will share mine, after the track, so there’s something to attend my track for 😉 )

Kim
    Participant
    @punkmik

I really enjoyed the different techniques.
    I may have to try the whiteboard of wisdom and sweets jar!

How do you deal with other members of the business wanting to join in? We share a floor with a v different part of the business so it may get awkward.

I have just started to bring in cake on a regular basis fro sprint retrospectives. So if you take part you get to eat cake. 🙂

Nathalie
    Participant
    @funtestic

Hi Kim,
    Thanks! *handing over a lolly*
    I found out it really helps explaining what it is you do and why. You can also extend the invite…
    And guess what!? : after some initial giggles (stick with it!) they will join when they see it works and gives energy!
    Hope this helps!

Kim
    Participant
    @punkmik

So after a few months I think I am now going to introduce the sweet jar.

I want it to be a positive experience and keep a Q&A page in our wiki regarding which questions are in the jar and which can give you a sweet.

Did you find that lollies worked best or chocolate or a variety?

Kim
    Participant
    @punkmik

I am finally going to give the sweets box with questions and answers a go and will post how it went.

We are a smallish dev team of about 25 people.

My version of this will be to have box of sweets and chocolates (wrapped/air tight containers that people can take from if they ask or answer a question.
    As it is all open plan and I am in meetings a lot I am setting a couple of simple rules:
    1. Be clean
    2. Be informative/helpful
    3. If there are 4 open questions you have to answer one before asking a new one

Do you think this is too over the top? Should everyone just be able to ask questions and I can set a limit if it gets out of hand?

I then will document the questions and answers on our wiki page so everyone can learn from the questions.

I am really excited about this. Has anyone else tried it?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘EuroSTAR 2014’ is closed to new topics and replies.