How to manage test cases? what are standard report to product owner?

Home Forums Software Testing Discussions How to manage test cases? what are standard report to product owner?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ery
    Participant
    @ery77

Hi All,
    I am new in this testing area, I have been working for 1 year and a half now. As a new tester, I am curious and willing to learn to make myself a better software tester.

Currently my process for testing a software are:
    1. Exploratory testing, based on requirement or product documentation.
    2. Along the way, I create test cases. The purpose is for regression test.
    Later this test cases can be a guide for manual testing or automatic testing.
    I don’t know if this is the right flow for testing process.

If you don’t mind, please share. I would like to learn how you:

1.. Manage test cases so it can become a guide for regression test. I am willing to learn to make it efficient and effective.
    2. Report to product owner or project manager. are there standard for reports to follow?

Regards,
    Ery.k

Thanh
    Participant
    @rocky

Hi Ery,

I think you’re on the right track with your process.

Re: 1.. Manage test cases so it can become a guide for regression test. I am willing to learn to make it efficient and effective.
    > I prefer a high level test cases because this will reduce my effort to maintain them when there are changes

2. Report to product owner or project manager. are there standard for reports to follow?
    > I would say there’s no standard. How about asking your manager what kind of information he/she needs from your report and why. This will make sure that you’re providing what people want.

Goodluck with your testing journey

Ery
    Participant
    @ery77

Hi Thanh,
    thank you for your sharing.

High level test cases? what is it?

John
    Participant
    @johnreber

Hi Ery,

If you have to formally report to a Product Owner then I would suggest that there is a disconnect in the scrum team. Hopefully all the information that PO may need will be available at any given moment for him/her to view including any testing progress on a story/PBI.

If you have a Project Manager to report then as Thanh suggested you can ask them what they would like to review but perhaps come with a few suggestions. Anything that shows an increase in quality, velocity or cost savings generally puts a smile on PM faces. I’m thinking things like Defect Detections Efficiency trends i.e. how many bugs you found or better still how many bugs your team ‘prevented’.

Thanh
    Participant
    @rocky

@Ery,

By high level test case, I mean a test idea. High level just tells what to test or test objective but doesn’t go into details step by steps to execute test cases. The good thing with this is that it will reduce the maintenance effort and give room for test to explore the product more when executing the test cases.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.