Mobile Testing In a Nutshell

Home Forums Software Testing Discussions Mobile Testing In a Nutshell

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Daragh
    Participant
    @daraghm

I found this Mind Map for mobile testing. It’s very detailed and impressive but my question is, what’s missing? Is there anything that you would add to this mind map or would it be fair to say that it covers every angle?

Jesper
    Participant
    @jesper-lindholt-ottosen

@Daragh: a nice mindmap from testinsane it is. But nutt very nuttshell’y. To me mobile would be three lessons:
    1) It’s on the move (location, network)
    2) It’s a device of devices (alarm, calendar, .. oh and a phone too)
    3) Fragmentation

do notice that in this story: Holy Complications Batman – an enterprise app testing story we are build apps out of a app framework, that build on top of the apple/google native apps. Corporate controlled devices, similar to our corporate managed pc’s – are a part of the equation too.

oh, this upcoming webinar could give us a clue: The Mobile Tester – Your Place In The Team

Here are some additional ressources:
    http://www.slideshare.net/sjanaway/mobile-testing-thats-just-a-smaller-screen-right-stephen-janaway

Thomas
    Participant
    @ponnet

Very nice list, thanks for sharing this.

I’d like to add a few things – connectivity via ALL available options, be it wifi, Bluetooth, device pairing, USB, etc. Following on from that the threats that come with the different connection options.
    A few apps come with their own pre-requisite software, is that software interferring with our application or are there known security risks?
    Something that may be covered by user habits are the different interactions of applications, for example a user is emailing, texting, taking photos, using the application under test while receiving a call. After the call, is the applicationl still in the correct state, what is that state in various critical scenarios?
    Combining user habits with memory or other restrictions, i.e. memory full or memory card taken out, does the app still work, how does it recover? This could be covered in the -ility section.
    It’s been good to think about this again, thanks.

Jon
    Participant
    @jonhagar

So the map maybe needs some context to be understood. It appears to address what I’d call low levels of test cases types (areas to test), which is good, but not activities such as test planning, test strategy, approaches to testing (e.g. model base, risk-based, math-based, exploratory, etc), high level design test selection, oracle creation, and report. How woAuld I select out of this map which test I have time, budget, and skills to be able to achieve? It is very useful.

BTW, another area that might be “missing, at the hardware and software test types, is what I would term “operations tests”. Mobile devices can be used in many types of operations by different users, e.g. business, home, gaming, environments, sales, schools, general, etc.

Ronan Healy
    Keymaster
    @ronan

It does appear @Jesper, @Thomas and @Jon that more levels could be added to the Mind Map.

I wonder where does the Mobile testing cross over with other aspects of testing i.e. exploratory and would these be included?

Ronan Healy
    Keymaster
    @ronan

Also to let ye guys know, its the start of our mobile testing series today. One webinar for each of the next three days on different aspects of mobile testing. More info here.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.