Moving to a Test Consultant Role. Have you done this?

Home Forums Software Testing Discussions Moving to a Test Consultant Role. Have you done this?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ronan Healy
    Keymaster
    @ronan

This is something I am very curious about. Most testers work as employees and are happy to do so.

However there are some that are self-employed test consultants. I am wondering if this is you, what made you want to move to a test consultant role?

I know the role has some benefits but there is a lot of negatives too like not knowing where you will be working next.

If you have changed over, what has been your experience? If you haven’t yet but are thinking about it, what are the reasons for you wanting to change?

Aaron
    Participant
    @fijiaaron

I like the independence it gives, and the ability to carve out time to work on personal or open source products. The ability to work remotely and travel are nice too.

But not many places are interested in test consultants. They either want full time, on-site employees, or to outsource completely.

Ben
    Participant
    @ben9

There are some who have the experience and the guts to not only apply for but also advertise themselves as Testing Consultants. Choosing to go it alone as some kind of one man A-Team. “If you have a problem, and no-one else can help”….

You know the rest.

This requires some very proactive self marketing. Tapping into company fears. Selling your passion and voice. Forcing changes in ethics and values and bringing a fresh approach and new passion.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.