What is the most popular programming language used by testers?

Home Forums Software Testing Discussions What is the most popular programming language used by testers?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ronan Healy
    Keymaster
    @ronan

Based on your own experience or if you were to make a guess, what would you say is the most popular language for software testers?

Is it based on company or your own preference for what language you use?

Andrei Domuta
    Participant
    @andrei-domuta

I would guess Java. My guess is based on the my friends’ testimonials
    My personal preference is Ruby. Is the easiest language to learn, build with and debug which I had my hands on

Would be nice to hear some other opinions 🙂

Shmuel Gershon
    Participant
    @sgershon

At work, we use C#, Python and C.
    We used Java, Perl and Ruby occasionally.

Side note: In this year’s EuroSTAR conference, we have a few programming presentations and tutorials. If we get more replies on the popular languages we can try to include examples from them, as many of the speakers have knowledge in a variety of languages!

Jinxu
    Participant
    @bigyellow

I use C#, powershell, python, batch and vba

Christina
    Participant
    @christina

I don’t know about the most popular but I use selenium web driver with C# for web pages and Postman for OData API.

Ronan Healy
    Keymaster
    @ronan

So it looks like C# is the most popular going my the responses here. Funny as you mentioned @andrei-domuta I thought too that Java would be the most popular but the more I read different testing blogs, the more I see Ruby being mentioned.

Andrei Domuta
    Participant
    @andrei-domuta

@ronan
    I was having a look over the Stack Overflow Dev survey and trying to find a link between the dev preferences for the programming language and the testing preference.
    http://stackoverflow.com/research/developer-survey-2016#technology-most-popular-technologies

And BTW, do you think the testers should use the same language as the dev team? one positive outcome would be the know-how sharing + code review

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.