Writing test cases? Do you either have a flair for it or not?

Home Forums Everyday Testing – Careers, Learning and more Writing test cases? Do you either have a flair for it or not?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Daragh
    Participant
    @daraghm

I can’t remember where I read it recently but there was a piece about essential skills for a software tester and written communication was listed as the most important. That got me thinking, if you are writing something like test cases, do certain people have a flair for it? Are some better at the technical aspects of testing rather than the written part? What do you think?

Paul French
    Participant
    @paul-french

Most certainly the case – it’s also that some people just don’t like it either, and would rather roll their sleeves up and get stuck in. This is why alternatives such as sbt (or other exploratory testing methods) go down well with some people.

This concept also applicable to other documentation such as test strategies and plans etc – some people have solid minds and can verbalise approaches but either can’t document or just don’t like to which is why other alternatives to these documents are essential.

Jesper
    Participant
    @jesper-lindholt-ottosen

personally i would prefer “test cases” to be inspirational and make people think. THAT I can write no problem – I’m not very good at writing everything out specifically. I would rather draw my test strategy than hack it into some word template…. BUT

It comes down to personal style, usually if your detail oriented or overview oriented. .
    and what the org you’r working for is…

Daragh
    Participant
    @daraghm

Most certainly the case – it’s also that some people just don’t like it either, and would rather roll their sleeves up and get stuck in. This is why alternatives such as sbt (or other exploratory testing methods) go down well with some people.

This concept also applicable to other documentation such as test strategies and plans etc – some people have solid minds and can verbalise approaches but either can’t document or just don’t like to which is why other alternatives to these documents are essential.

How do you go about writing your test cases?

Archana
    Participant
    @archana

Writing test cases is a skill not many testers have or rather not many testers like. I believe test cases is essential specially for complex applications but personally do not like to write them myself. But having good communications skill is definitely a must for a tester. Be it documentation of various testing reports or logging / explaining defects or communicating with the BA or developer or client, you have to be able to communicate clearly

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.